October 14, 2016, 8 pm – Midnight
Conjure your inner muse, don a mask and join us again for an evening of revelry in support of The Carrack.
The 2nd Annual Muse Masquerade merges the highlights of our inaugural extravaganza with the daring spirit of cabaret. Please join us for another magical evening of experimental performance, tarot, interactive experiences, live poetry, theater, music, art, drag, and dancing at 21c Museum Hotel on Friday, October 14, 8:00 p.m. – midnight.
How do you Muse?
- Wander through a three-storied labyrinth of art and sound experiences provided by Little Green Pig Theatrical Concern, Culture Mill, Ginger Wagg & Wild Actions, Evan Mitchell and local dancers.
- Request an impromptu poem from The Poetry Fox.
- Pose for a custom portrait by Tony Waldron.
- Sit for a tarot reading with Jameela Dallis or Philip Young.
- Follow mysterious clues to win prizes in a unique scavenger hunt.
- Lounge in the galleries with Tea Cup Gin and Janxx or get down to vinyl in the Vault with Vespertine & Gemynii.
- Immerse yourself in tantalizing performances by The VaudeVillain Revue and legendary drag queen Shasta Kola.
- Dance until midnight to music by The Boulevard Ensemble, shirlette ammons and The Floor in the Ballroom with live visuals by thefacesblur.
Our mission is to empower the community through access to, and expression through, the arts. Just as we encourage artists to take ownership of their work and its presentation in our space, we ask our supporters to determine their ability to give.
Building on last year’s model, we are offering tickets at a number of price points to ensure a welcoming and successful fundraising event. Detailed information about the impact of your contribution at all levels is provided in the “more info” section next to each ticket type. Please select the ticket type that best reflects your ability to support The Carrack. There are a limited number of tickets available at each price point based on our fundraising goal.
In accordance with NC DOR sales and use tax regulations, any ticket purchase includes sales tax calculated on base ticket value of $25. Any payment above base ticket price is a gift to the Carrack and confers no additional event privileges.
Interested in being a Sponsor? Please view our Sponsorship Guide.
Why are there so many ticket options and what’s with the funny numbers?
Think of this as our version of a crowdfunding campaign. Instead of offering separate experiences based on giving levels, we offer one big party to all. We chose this model because it best reflects our commitment to building a truly community-supported art space.
Ticket levels are based on the monthly impact each contribution makes for The Carrack in 2017. The $37 ticket covers the cost to The Carrack of one person to attend the event ($25), and adds $1 per month to support The Carrack next year. The $85 ticket covers the cost to The Carrack for one person to attend the event, and adds $5 per month to support The Carrack next year.
We hope you’ll consider joining the 75 people who currently support The Carrack with a recurring monthly donation all year long. Find out more about our Sustainer program here.
How much should I pay?
To meet our fundraising goal, we are seeking an average price of $61 per guest (our “Sweet Spot <3″ ticket). In selecting your price, we encourage you to consider the following:
- The value that The Carrack holds for you and for the community.
- The value of your experience at The Muse Masquerade.
- Your own personal financial capacity.
- Your ability to sustainably support The Carrack’s 2017 operations. We’ve provided information at each ticket level to help you think about sustainer-level giving.
- Our fundraising goal. We’ve included an infographic above with clear information about our operating expenses, plans for growth and measurable impact.
Is my ticket tax-deductible?
Purchases through TicketLeap are not tax-deductible.
Are tickets available at the door?
Tickets are only available online or at The Carrack (very limited) in advance of the event. We expect this event to sell out. If there are still tickets remaining on the event date, they will be sold at a fixed price determined by our remaining fundraising goal. We strongly encourage you to buy online as soon as you can! Your timely purchase will allow us to put on a successful event for the right number of people and helps us make strategic decisions about achieving our fundraising goal.
Details, Details, Details
Read on for information about food and drink, attire, and parking.
Food and Drink
Light hors d’oeuvres prepared by Counting House are included with your ticket. Additionally, guests are invited to order beer, wine and cocktails from one of five cash bars or to visit the Counting House Restaurant and Bar as they please. Please note that food and beverage purchases are not part of The Carrack’s fundraising efforts.
21c Museum Hotel offers valet parking for this event for $5. There are also nearby parking decks. We strongly recommend familiarizing yourself with the nearby parking options in advance of the event if at all possible. Street parking is always free after 6:00 p.m. We also encourage you to consider parking farther away and using Uber or Lyft to get to 21c Museum Hotel.
This year hotel rooms are being offered at a special rate by the Aloft Durham Downtown hotel at 345 Blackwell Street, Durham, NC 27701, just 2 blocks from 21c. Please visit this web page to make a reservation. You may book your reservation until September 13, 2016. Changes and cancellations to your reservation can be made until October 14, 2016. Please note that there are a limited number of rooms available at the special rate.
Continuing in our tradition of a “Creative Black Tie” theme, we suggest you have some fun with your outfit; everything from tuxedos to tutus are totally appropriate, and we expect to see some Halloween costumes too. Masks are strongly encouraged but not required, however we do ask that all guests to be culturally sensitive in their costume selection.
Prizes will be awarded for: Best Mask, Best Mask & Costume Combo, Best Group Mask & Costume Combo
Follow The Muse Masquerade on Facebook.
See more about last year’s Muse Masquerade.