The Carrack is now accepting applications for visual art exhibitions and installations July – December 2018. Please read these application guidelines thoroughly before submitting an application.
Who we are:
The Carrack is an artist-centered, volunteer-run, zero-commission art space in downtown Durham, North Carolina that hosts short, rapidly rotating exhibitions, performances, workshops, and community gatherings. We believe art is an invaluable asset – a resource for cultivating relationships, strengthening communities, and sparking political change. We seek a reimagined arts ecosystem: one that is accessible and collaborative, one that is unbounded by discipline, age, class, race, ability, gender or other identities. The Carrack proudly supports the work of creators who are underrepresented in the art world at large, including artists of color; queer and trans artists; and artists who are emerging, experimenting, or producing temporal and/or site-specific work.
All artists and organizers use The Carrack for free, have complete creative control over the presentation of their work, and keep 100% of what they make from sales if they choose to sell their work. The Carrack is entirely funded by grassroots donations. Find out how you can support this work here.
Who can apply:
ALL artists and curators are invited to apply. We especially welcome artists and curators who are:
- emerging and seeking inaugural exhibition space
- experimenting or pushing the boundaries of their own art practice
- belonging to a historically marginalized or non-dominant cultural group
- producing work that critically engages current issues
- creating temporal and/or site-specific work
- seeking, through their work, to join with and contribute to a community unbounded by discipline, age, class, race, gender, or other identities
How The Carrack works:
- Exhibitions rotate every three weeks.
- Artists are given complete creative control of their exhibition and expected to undertake all aspects of the professional presentation of their work.
- Artists have the option to price and sell their work as they see fit during their exhibition. The Carrack does not take any commission of sales.
- There is no fee to apply or present work at The Carrack. Deadlines and notification dates are based on your preferred exhibition dates, as indicated on the application.
- There are two deadlines by which to apply:
- by May 7, 2018 at 11:59pm for exhibitions to take place between July 9 and September 30, 2018
- by August 6, 2018 at 11:59pm for exhibitions to take place between October 1 and December 23, 2018
- Submitted proposals will be reviewed by one of two review panels, based on your submission date. All Carrack review panels are made up of past Carrack artists and curators and are moderated by The Carrack’s Curatorial Team.
- Applications that are not accepted by one review panel are eligible for resubmission to be reviewed by the next review panel. A new application must be submitted.
- We recommend that you apply early.
- Contact email@example.com if you have any questions during the application process.
If you are interested in scheduling an event or performance at The Carrack, please do not fill out this application. Instead, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your idea in the body of the email in order to begin the proposal process.
2018 OPENINGS, APPLICATION DEADLINES, AND NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE
JULY – SEPTEMBER
May 7, 2018 at 11:59pm
- July 9-29, 2018
- July 30-August 19, 2018
- August 20-September 9, 2018
- September 10-30, 2018
May 21, 2018
OCTOBER – DECEMBER
August 6, 2018 at 11:59pm
- October 1-21, 2018
- October 22-November 11, 2018
- November 12-December 2
- December 3-23
August 20, 2018
What your exhibition means:
Since The Carrack opened in June 2011, the space has hosted hundreds of exhibitions, performances, and events. Each artist, curator, performer, and organizer brings a new idea, audience, or perspective to the project. The relationships that we build through our artists’ networks form the strong foundation of grassroots support that sustains this organization. In sharing your work at The Carrack, you become a part of a larger story – it is every artist’s voice that defines and redefines who we are.
We believe that art is a vital component of a thriving community. We acknowledge the obstacles presented by commission-based models and we seek to expand the creative possibilities of exhibition spaces by offering an alternative. The Carrack provides a free-to-apply, free-to-use, zero-commission, peer-juried, three-week-only option. During your time here, we want you to create your best work and actively engage with your audience in the way you choose. We also hope that, through your experience at The Carrack, you will become invested in our organization and in the futures of other artists in our shared community.
The proposal process is straightforward. We want to see that you have a clear vision of how you plan to use your time at The Carrack and that you understand our expectations before you apply. By selecting your proposal, we are trusting you to be a responsible steward of our space and our mission, to be professional in the presentation, marketing, and execution of your exhibition, and to bring an open and collaborative spirit that will foster productive relationships within our organization and with the broader community.
Thank you for applying and we look forward to seeing your work!
The Carrack’s Curatorial Team
Artist Requirements (upon acceptance)
- Attend at least one reception or event at The Carrack prior to your own exhibition.
- Design an invitation and/or poster for your exhibition and send it to us four weeks ahead of your opening date.
- Attend an orientation session with all artists in your Exhibition Cycle in advance of your exhibition. You will have the opportunity to ask questions and get advice about many of these requirements at the orientation.
- Undertake all aspects of installation and deinstallation of your exhibition, including any necessary coordination with the exhibitions preceding and following yours. The Carrack can assist as needed.
- Undertake all aspects of marketing your exhibition. We can offer support and suggestions on how to maximize exposure.
- Host a public reception during the first week of your exhibition. We have resources to assist you with reception planning and budgeting.
- Give a public artist talk, presentation, performance, or Q&A during your exhibition.
- Serve on one of the jury panels for 2019 exhibitions (dates TBA).
- Note regarding exhibition insurance: The Carrack does not offer insurance coverage for any artwork or materials brought into the space. Exhibitors are responsible for providing their own insurance if coverage is desired.
Online Application Form
To apply, please answer all of the questions in the online Application Form found here.
Here are the questions in the Application Form, and the maximum length permitted for your responses. It is recommended that you develop your responses in advance and then cut-and-paste them into the online Application Form when you are ready to submit (rather than writing your submission content right in the online form).
Please include your: Full Name, Email Address, Phone Number, Mailing Address
- WHEN do you want to have an exhibition?
- What are your preferred dates on the gallery’s calendar? We may not be able to give you your first choice, so please let us know your ranked options.
- WHO is involved in your exhibition? (250 characters or fewer)
- Is this a solo exhibition of your work, a group exhibition that includes your work, an exhibition you are curating, or an ongoing performance that requires three weeks in the space?
- WHAT should we know about you/them? (500 characters or fewer)
- We care about your narrative description of who you/they are and the significance of your/their work far more than we care about CVs and resumes.
- WHAT would you like to do at The Carrack? (1500 characters or fewer)
- Tell us about your dream for the space.
- HOW do you plan to do it? (1500 characters or fewer)
- Tell us about the logistics of making your dream happen. This part is less about where you’ll put the nail or place the pedestal and more about helping us understand any obstacles you anticipate and how you’ll overcome them. We also want to know about your plans to get people to The Carrack to see your work.
- WHY is your work important? (500 characters or fewer)
- How does your work impact the world?
- What does it do or say?
- Why is this important now?
- WHY does your work need to be shown HERE at The Carrack? (750 characters or fewer)
- What will The Carrack’s mission, model, location, or physical space offer to your work?
- How does your work, exhibition, or method align with The Carrack’s mission?
- How will this exhibition be different from other exhibitions of your work? What else should we know?
- SHOW US some examples.
- We do not require that all of the work you plan to show at The Carrack be completed at the time of your application, but we do need to see examples of original work that relate to your proposal. You may share these with us in one of the following ways:
- Provide a link to your website and direct us absolutely clearly to up to 6 specific images or up to 3 specific video or audio files.
- Attach up to 6 digital images, saved as JPG files, with a minimum size in any direction of 600 pixels and a maximum of 2000 pixels, and email to email@example.com.
- Attach up to 3 video or audio files under 50MB and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Acceptable file formats: WAV, AIFF, MP3, AVI, FLV, WMV, MOV, MP4).
- Mail up to 6 printed photos or digital images saved as JPGs on a CD to The Carrack at 947 East Main Street, Durham, NC 27701. Please include a printed copy of your completed application, which will be emailed to you once you submit the online Application Form. Mailed materials will not be returned.
Fill Out the Application Form Now